How to get the most from your sessions
- Make Notes: it can be helpful to make some personal notes after the session while things are fresh in your mind, as well as jotting down and any thoughts or feelings / issues that you would like to discuss between sessions.
- Extra space for quiet time / self care activities: this encourages reflection and allows time to process what we have been working on. It could be anything (a long walk, an early night, going for a drive, an unhurried drink in a coffee shop or quiet bar, soaking in the bath, chatting with a friend or a quiet night in. It is often in such quiet moments that people find things slot into place.
- Keeping a progress journal: some people find it helpful to start and maintain a private journal in addition to making notes after and between sessions.There is no particular format. Entries can be anything from a few bullet points or words to pages of writing, daily, weekly or occasionally. Free private journalling software (Penzu) is available from this site.
- Communicate if you need something different: If things are not progressing how you would like, your goals from our work change or you would like us to review progress then please say. We will usually review every 6 or so sessions but its important to get the most from your sessions.
- Discussing session content with others: Some people prefer to keep their sessions private and some like to discuss their sessions with their partners and friends. Whether you share and how much you share is up to you but you should never feel obliged to tell others. It is often deeply private and personal and your loved ones should respect that, and you have a choice even if someone else is paying for your sessions.
- Helpful books: If you would like to read a book alongside our work then I can usually recommend some titles and there are some helpful titles recommended on this site too.
Letters & Reports
If you wish me to write any letters about your treatment, progress or mental state (for legal reasons or for a third party for example) a fee will be charged to cover my time.
What to expect
Your first session
The first session usually involves taking a history and getting to know a bit more about you in order to fully assess your current situation. This is an important foundation for our work and from that we can start to form an idea for a plan of action and decide where we need to focus in order to attain your goals. We will discuss current medication & details of any previous therapy or psychological assessments. If your sessions are being paid by a private health insurance company then please bring your policy details / authorisation code along with you.
Will usually be semi structured and involve talking, questioning looking at things from different perspectives. These perspectives usually include: the past, the present and the future and other people’s perspectives as well as your own. We may identify and examine any repeating patterns over weeks, months or years. We may look at resolving any unfinished business with the past using various psychological techniques.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is psychological therapy like?
Most people find it interesting. It can help you to change the things in your life that are not working for you and help you to be a better person for yourself and your loved ones. It can help you to get to know, get to like and appreciate yourself more rather than fighting internally against yourself.
I have a relative, friend or loved one with mental health issues who I care for
I often work with “carers” when the person with the problem is not ready to attend. I also see loved ones of those who are undergoing treatment elsehwere to help them manage and help their loved one better. Sometimes and unintentionally loved ones can hinder progress or collude with the problem making it worse. Sometimes just one session can make all the difference.
What is the typical length of treatment, frequency & number of sessions?
Every one is different but generally speaking most people come for short term (6-8 sessions) or medium term (8-18 sessions) work although some people / difficulties can take longer.
Some people will come twice a week either because the severity of their problem warrants it or because they choose to work intensively on something. Some clients have a block of sessions then a gap and then come back to continue. The majority attend weekly sessions, however, it will depend on what you are looking to achieve as well as your time-scale and budget. On the first full session together we can decide what is going to work best for you.
Location & Facilities
Face to face clients are usually seen in a ground floor office in a Basepoint Business Centre in Camberley, London Road, Camberley Surrey. There is a waiting area in reception and on the second floor (where refreshments are available).
There is free parking just outside in the Basepoint users car park we have allocated visitor spaces.
Can you prescribe medication?
No this is something that a GP or Psychiatrist would be able to do.
Can I get my sessions on my private health insurance?
Yes usually. I am affiliated to several private health insurers (Argent, Aviva, Axa, Bupa, Cigna, CS healthcare, Elan medical, med-care, PPP, Premex, PMI, Pru-Health, Remedi, Simply Health, WPA). Your health scheme will need to approve and provide a claim number or reference number as well as number of allocated sessions for your treatment.
Do I need my G.P to refer me?
No you can refer yourself privately, although some health care providers require a GP or Psychiatrist referral.
Can I get treatment with you on the NHS?
No this is not possible for private clients.
Do you offer home visits?
Yes if appropriate (severe agoraphobia for example) and within a local radius. Please note that a charge will be made for travel time in addition to the usual fees.
Appointment times, types & availability
All sessions are by appointment only and appointments are available between the following times:
- Weekdays: 8am – 8pm
- Saturdays & Sundays: (by arrangement please ask)
Standard appointments are just under an hour. Let me know if you wish to book a longer session (1.5 or 2 hours). Longer sessions can be useful for couples.
Appointments are usually available with a week’s notice.
Skype, Email & Telephone appointments
Offer flexibility and convenience. Some people prefer the sessions this way. It is your choice. The charges are the same as I charge for my time.